Are you a fan of listening to music or watching movies from your computer like I am?
I guess yes;
Then you can agree with me that sometimes you just want the sound loud and the bass booming.
You want this but without the hustle of grabbing your headphones and being restricted to one location.
An easy solution is a wireless bookshelf speaker. Lucky for us there is an active bookshelf speaker available that provides hi-fi audio and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
The edifier r1700bt is a great product from a company that is well- known and was founded in Beijing China with a group of enterprising music lovers.
These bookshelf speakers are considered as one of the most in-demand bookshelf speakers today because of their aptitude and frequency.
Edifier R1700BT Review
The Edifier r1700bt is a pair of active speakers, meaning that you will not require purchasing a separate amplifier for these beauties. They deliver 15 watts RMS each and come with a 0.75-inch silk dome tweeter and a single driver with two-band EQ on it.
Another great thing about these bookshelf speakers is that they are Bluetooth compatible. You can now use Bluetooth for music streaming wirelessly.
The Bluetooth connectivity allows these speakers to connect to all smart devices whether it’s a phone, TV, gaming console or even a computer. This is because these speakers are compatible with iOS, macOS, Android, and windows.
Simply select Bluetooth mode with the remote or by pressing the volume knob then, enable Bluetooth from your source device and select the bookshelf speakers from the list of available connections.
“The icing on the cake is that this pairing mode will always be on until you decide to change it when the speakers are turned on, it is enabled.”
The wireless range is up to 30 feet which is impressive. A bonus is the LED light that changes from green to blue to let the user know what is the input source; blue is for when it is connected to Bluetooth and green is when you and using a wired connection.
In addition to all the above features, these speakers have built-in Digital signal processing or (DPS) and dynamic range control (DRC) to ensure that the sound is clear and free from distortion.
What is in the box and setup?
In the packaging, these speakers come with 4-pin interconnect cable, RCA to RCA cable, RCA to 3.5mm cable, a user manual, and warranty.
Included is also a nifty remote that you can use to control the volume, sources, mute, un-mute at your convenience. The remote is very small and with thin mushy buttons.
The cable that comes with these is long, allowance for the pair of bookshelf speakers to be placed 16 feet apart.
The setup is also simple, connect to a power source, and connect the two speakers. In terms of I/O you are looking at a dual RCA output as well two AUX inputs that can be connected to any device with 3.5m jack.
Build and Design
When it comes to the look and design of the Edifier R1700BT, we think they look Gorgeous.
The Company chose to focus on classical yet modern design that is chic in style and will blend in well with modern home décor. The MDF walnut vinyl covering on the sides coupled with matte black that sandwich a composite core is a match made in heaven.
These speakers feature an angled design where the transducers are aimed at an upward angle compared to the surface they are sitting on. They are made like this to direct the sound directly towards the listener’s ear for a clearer midrange and treble instead of their chest.
The edifier also put the port at the front which is probably necessary due to the angle.
When you take off the grilles you reveal the eagle eye tweeter sitting above the 4-inch bass driver with a forward-facing bass port at the bottom, we find that the speakers look better and way more high-end without them.
The other great thing about the design of these bookshelf speakers that the bass port is at the front of the speakers so there is no need to worry about proximity to the wall and you can place them pretty much anywhere.
On the right side of the speaker, you find the knobs from top to bottom that control treble, bass and volume controls and a LED light in a countersunk panel. The knobs are made of aluminum and move smoothly when rotated when adjusting.
At the back of the right speaker we find the dual RCA inputs and in the left speakers out and power switch while the left speakers just have the single interconnect jack.
It has a dimension of 6 by 8 by 9.75 inches which makes them portables and compact enough to fit in most desktops without taking much space.
Overall they look good and the colors are classy and eye-catching, the design is excellent, proper sizing for flexibility in placement. The wood finish makes them look like they are expensive and can complement a variety of interior décor.
The sound quality of the R1700BT is bright, clear and energetic. These speakers offer a very well-balanced performance that puts them well within the hi-fi territory. The speakers use digital signal processing (DSP) and Dynamic range control (DRC) to limit distortion.
They tremble from the 19 mm eagle eye tweeter is crisp and taking the cover off makes it even clearer.
The tone is full of warmth and clarity especially in the trembles; you are subjected to a great balance of girth when it comes to the midrange with excellent layering and separation.
The sound quality that comes from these bookshelf speakers will make you think that you are listening to your favorite songs for the first time because no matter the genre the music sounds clean and undistorted at all volume levels. It doesn’t matter if you are using Bluetooth or echo, you will get to hear all the nuances in every song.
The imaging is also impressive making them great for movies and gaming.
Another great thing is that you can fine-tune the sound to your preference and that is one of its strong points. You can adjust the bass within the ranges of -6 dB to +6 dB.
The speakers can get loud, sound capacity can fill up a medium-sized room with little distortion up to the max and the separation in the instruments and vocals remain.
The only aspect of performance where these start to falter is the bass; the 4-inch drivers are not capable of providing too much definition like its high-end counterparts. But all in all, being a 2.0 audio system the bass is adequate for most users.
What we like
- Aesthetically these are knockoffs considering the price point. The fit and finish are excellent and they have a healthy weight to them, no one can suspect that it is not real wood.
- Bluetooth works very well and there is little lag or interference, plus the range is great too.
- Wireless functionality allows the streaming of music directly from your Smartphone devices and it also supports a variety of music sources.
- The Bluetooth connectivity pairing is always on so that you don’t need to hustle to pair the bookshelf with your devices every time you want to use them. This especially comes in handy when you are using Echo/ Alexa.
- Crystal clear stereo sound performance with very good sound stage, the audio is good enough for TV watching, gaming and also to listen to your favorite music.
- They have excellent high and low frequencies which are loud enough to fill up a medium-sized room.
- They are relatively small speakers and for their size, they give versatility when it comes to placement.
- You also get a diversity of connections, two aux inputs, and Bluetooth.
What we don’t like
- The bass is where all fail with these speakers; they don’t provide the very best. Although they have a good level of audio clarity, they lack bass response and require a dedicated subwoofer add-on for more depth.
- This particular model of the edifier does not have other settings such as optical input and stereo-to mono switch.
- the remote control also does not have an option to change the equalizer settings
- Another downside is that the button labels can be difficult to see in low light but it is easy enough to remember where the volume up and down buttons are
- One other nitpick we have is the Bluetooth; in that when you are not using it, it will connect to other devices, there is no way to stop someone else connecting to Bluetooth when using the speakers with an in-line source.
You can get a decent sound quality with these speakers but nothing can compare to a system with a powered subwoofer. The speaker just offers decent sound for a good price.
The Edifier R1700BT is a solid active bookshelf speaker with Bluetooth capabilities. It provides a level sound quality on par with higher-end Bluetooth bookshelf speakers and covers an entire audio spectrum well without distortion even at high volume levels.
You get to enjoy crystal sound quality from bookshelf speaker that looks good with its simple design that fits straight into your home décor.
This is a decent product and a worth for your money as it provides a loud sound that can fill up a room with quality amplification. Its compact size allows you to place it anywhere you like and it comes with all the cables required for setup.
If you want to get into hi-fi, the edifier brand is one that offers a great experience at a very reasonable price then these speakers are for you.
Edifier R1700BT Review